Philips Norelco 8900
Ease of use9.0 /10
Run Time9.0 /10
Battery Recharge Time8.0 /10
Weight of shaver9.5 /10
Overall design9.0 /10
- Its moving head handles tricky contours well
- Gives extremely comfortable and close shaves
- Exceptional ergonomic grip and easy-to-hold handle makes usage easier
- Slimmer than previous models and looks elegant and high-tech
- Charges quickly and the battery retains power for longer
- Great shaves in both dry and wet options
- Very little irritation and a lot less razor burns than with previous models
- Less noisy and perfect for noise-sensitive individuals
- Its JetClean system makes it very easy to clean after use
- Cannot be charged without its charging stand; no means of direct plugging when the battery is dead
- Charging stand not convenient to carry when traveling
- Fussy cleaning station
Summary of My Review on Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Wet and Dry 1280X/47
Are you looking for a lightweight, easy-to-use, irritation-free, extremely quiet and high-tech shaver that gives shaves that are just as close as those achieved through manual razors? Do you wish for a stylish and luxurious shaver that can turn your routine shaving chores into enjoyable ventures, inspiring you to shave more often than ever? Are you looking for a shaver that can deliver super-clean and ultra-close shaves without sacrificing skin comfort? And would you be satisfied if you had a wet and dry shaver that automatically washes, lubricates and dries itself in readiness for the next shave?
If so, then the Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Model 1280X/47 is ideal for you.
Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Model 1280X/47 has the old-fashioned virtues of secure handling, ease of use, great shaves and top-quality manufacturing, making it one of the best shavers that money can buy. And while retaining the desirable old-fashioned qualities, it also boasts of high-tech features, a well-balanced and elegant design, an automatic cleaning system, little noise and a durable charge-retaining battery, all of which make it worth its $250-$350 price bracket. Nevertheless, the shaver takes longer time to achieve clean and close shaves with long hair and coarse beards, and may even cause some irritation in the process; while its reservoir does not pick up all the hair shavings, resulting into a mess during shaving. Similarly, it cannot be powered by direct plugging while its charging stand is too bulky to carry when traveling. Therefore, it deserves a rating of 4.3 out of 5. Still, given all the features it has, it is well worth its price.
My Detailed Review on Philips Norelco Shaver 8900
Relying on the GyroFlex 3D (three-dimensional) contour-following system that combines three independent and synergistic parts into one powerful shaving unit capable of tilting at any angle, Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Wet and Dry 1280X/47 manages tough contours and heavy beards with ease, giving smooth and close shaves in just a few strokes. The three dynamic parts usually tilt inward, pivot around and flex outward independently, ensuring that every natural contour on the face is followed and that all hair is cut tidily. Besides, the shaver’s UltraTrack heads is a blend of three specialized shaving tracks; that is, holes for stubble, shorter slots for medium hair and channels for longer hair, which work together to catch and cut every hair.
Furnished with Super Lift&Cut Dual-Blade system, Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Wet &Dry 1280X/47 lifts every hair in order to ensure comfortable cuts just above the skin surface. As a result, the shaver gets the job done as perfectly as a manual double-blade razor and without leaving behind any stray hairs or uncut stubble. Similarly, the shaver’s AquaTec Seal ensures more freedom on where and how to use the shaver. With the seal, you can use the shaver in the shower and opt for cool and refreshing wet shaves with shaving lotions or gels. And if you prefer dry shaves, you will have no skin burns with this shaver because the low-friction SkinGlide shaving surface will ensure that the razor floats over your face for quick, easy and close shaves.
Moreover, Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Wet and Dry 1280X/47 is powered by a durable and charge-retaining Lithium-Ion battery that requires 1hour of charging to be fully charged. When fully charged, the battery lasts up to 60 minutes of non-stop shaving or a maximum of 20 days of routine shaving. You can always know the battery’s power level by checking the shaver’s display. But when the battery’s power is used up, you will be alerted by a warning alarm so you can recharge the battery promptly in order to avoid missing your next shave. Furthermore, the shaver comes with an automatic JetClean system that washes, charges, lubricates and dries the shaver in readiness for the next shaving; while its ergonomic-grip and easy-to-hold handle optimizes control during shaving.
- GyroFlex 3D Contour-Following Heads: Traces every facial and skin curve, ensuring smooth shaves with minimal pressure and irritation.
- UltraTrack Heads: Pick, catch and cut every hair in few strokes.
- Touch-Control Numeric Display: Indicates how much power is left in the battery.
- Super Lift&Cut Dual-Blade System: Lifts hairs and ensure they are cut from their roots.
- AquaTec Seal: Ensure convenient dry shaving and refreshing wet shaving using gels or foam.
- SkinGlide Shaving Surface: Ensures the shaver glides over the skin surface for smooth and close shaves.
- JetClean System: Washes, dries, lubricates and charges the shaver in preparation for superior day-after-day shaves.
- Lithium-Ion Battery: Gives 60 minutes of cordless operation after 1hour of recharging.
- Dimensions: 1.2 x 1.2 x 6.2 inches
- Warranty: 2-year warranty and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
How to Use Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Model 1280X/47
- Press the shaver’s on/off button once to turn it on.
- Decide whether you will do a wet or dry shave. For a wet shave, you should apply water on your face (or area to be shaved) and then apply your shaving lotion or gel. Make sure to mix water and gel until foam forms. For dry shaving, you must not apply water or gel, and instead rely on the smooth gliding surface of the shaver for irritation-free shaves.
- Whether on wet or dry mode, hold your shaver into position, ensuring that you move it against the direction of hair growth. Then, shave the hair by making straight and circular movements with your shaver.
- Using your free hand, stretch your facial skin gently to allow the razor to catch and cut the hairs well. Always, the razor must be pressed on the skin surface gently to allow the shaving unit to glide smoothly across the skin surface and follow all the natural contours of your face.
- Make as many strokes as will give you the cleanest and closest shaves, but always stop applying more pressure when you feel the razor causing some irritations or burns.
- Once you complete shaving, make sure to turn off the shaver and to clean it thoroughly before storing it.
How to Clean Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 Series 8000 Model 1280X/47
- The shaver can be cleaned either manually or automatically (using JetClean system).
- Cleaning should be done after every shave; and each cleaning must be done when the shaver is turned off and removed from its charging stand.
- For manual cleaning, rinse the shaving heads thoroughly in running hot water for at least 30 seconds, and then open up the shaver’s blades (they will flip up) and rinse them thoroughly. You must never wipe the shaver with a towel or tissue paper as you can damage the shaving heads. When you are through, shake off excess water and leave the shaver to air dry, before replacing the shaving head holder and keeping your shaver.
- For automatic cleaning with the JetClean System, you have three different options: the eco program, the auto program and the intensive cleaning program. Basic cleaning with the JetClean system takes 5 minutes followed by 2 hours of drying, but when you use the eco program you can reduce the drying cycle to 1 hour. Extensive cleaning usually takes at least 30 minutes. To use the automatic cleaning option, you must refill the shaver’s canister with the cleaning solution (a mixture of alcohol and oil), and then set the automatic cleaning jet program to run.