Shaving by itself can be troublesome, but when you add acne into the mix, it becomes an absolute nightmare! For acne sufferers, shaving can easily cut the pimples and result into acne scars. While acne typically affects the skin’s surface, it can be worsened by shaving-occasioned friction, resulting in acne outbreaks.
What Causes Acne?
The old myth that acne is only a teenage problem is well and truly buried. Dermatologists have actually confirmed that acne is caused by hormonal disorders at the skin level, which results in the stimulation of the sebaceous glands which produce excess oil. This surplus oil clogs the pores of the skin and results into inflammation and pimples. Acne also occurs when the skin is irritated through bad shaving practices.
Safety Razors vs Electric Shavers for Men with Acne Prone Skin
Should you use a razor blade when your face is acne prone? Definitely not!
A razor blade cuts very close to the skin; this increases the risk that you will cut through your pimples and end up with acne scarring. Therefore, you must avoid a razor blade at all costs. Instead of razors, have you thought of an Electric Shaver!
The blades of electric shavers are generally more forgiving and do not come in very close contact with the skin, therefore there is lesser risk of cutting through pimples and/or irritate the skin. Nevertheless, while electric shavers are more suitable than safety razors when shaving a face with acne, it is recommended to choose one that is just built for this purpose. The best electric shavers for acne will prevent skin irritation, save you a lot of pain and grief and allow you to enjoy a clean-shaven look without further aggravating your acne.
Advantages of Using Electric Shavers on Acne-Prone Skin
- They do not shave as close as manual blades and therefore allows users to avoid cutting through the pimples which prevents further acne breakouts.
- They offer reasonably close shaves with no or little effect on existing acne.
- Not cuts, scrapes, burns and razor bumps.
- Quicker shaves, reducing the time needed for daily grooming.
5 Essential Tips For Shaving Acne Prone Skin
Buying the perfect electric shaver is a huge step in achieving a clean and smooth shave, but using the shaver incorrectly will not do you any favors. Below are some tips that you can follow to achieve an immaculate trim:
- Wash your face with warm water before shaving to open up the pores and to soften the skin and hairs.
- Shave frequently to avoid full beards and long beards that will force you to apply more pressure when shaving.
- Apply a pre-shave wash, gel or cream that is designated for acne-prone skin.
- Always shave with the grain of your hair, i.e. shave in the direction of hair growth: Even though cutting against the grain can help you to achieve closer and cleaner shaves, this is not advisable when you have acne. Shaving in the direction of hair growth (i.e. shaving with the grain) prevents skin inflammation.
- Slide the shaving head gently over the skin to minimize irritation. Do not exert too much pressure on the shaving head.
If you are experiencing an extreme case of acne, it is advisable to avoid close shaving. Instead of attempting a close shave, just use a beard trimmer set to the lowest setting to clip the hairs to a minimum.
Never try to shave through the pimples; doing so will result into wounds and acne scars. Your strokes should be light and gentle always. If you accidentally slice a pimple, make sure to apply an antibacterial solution/cream/gel immediately to prevent bacterial infection.
Main Features of the Best Electric Shavers for Men with Prone Skin
Acne-prone skin requires you to use an electric shaver which has more motor power and high-precision blades that will deliver greater coverage per stroke, resulting in clean and smooth shaves without irritation and scraping of pimples. The main features of a top shaver for acne are:
- Very Sharp Blades: When shaving acne-prone skin, it is important to cut the hairs with the least number of strokes possible. This ensures minimal skin irritation and less chance of cutting, inflaming or aggravating the acne. Sharp blades will cut most of the hairs in a single stroke.
- Foil-Guarded Blades and Separate Beard Trimmer: The best shavers for acne come with foil-guarded blades or a beard trimmer to minimize contact between the blades and the pimples.
- Wet/Dry Function: When shaving on an acne face, you need to use warm water to help open up the pores and to soften the stubble so you can shave quickly and easily. Therefore, you need a shaver that can be used in the shower.
- Absolute comfort: Superb shavers for acne should glide smoothly across the skin, follow facial contours seamlessly and deliver clean shaves without pulling the hairs, therefore avoiding cutting the pimples. The shavers should also be lightweight, easy to hold and manoeuvre.
- Easy to clean: Routine cleaning of an electric shaver will keep it performing at its best.
How To Choose The Best Electric Shaver For Acne-Prone Skin?
The best shaver for acne prone skin should be of high quality and capable of minimizing skin irritation. When buying such a shaver, you should:
- Pick a reputable brand that will give you premium quality and deliver high performance shaving.
- Prepare to pay a fair and reasonable price: Shavers with features that prevent skin irritation and acne will not sell for very cheap.
- Pick a waterproof shaver that offers wet/dry functions: shaving acne prone skin is best when done in the shower and make sure that they can be used with shaving gels/creams/lotions.
To save you the hassle of reading through various blogs and doing your own market research and analysis, I have picked the top 2 electric shavers that are the best-suited for acne-prone skin:
My Recommendation On The Best 2 Electric Shavers For Acne
Boasting high-tech features such as the GyroFlex 3D contour-following system, UltraTrack Heads, AquaTec Wet/Dry technology and the JetClean System, the electric shaver delivers precision and skin protection that enables users to achieve clean and smooth shaves through acne.
The feature-rich Wet/Dry shaver comes with GyroFlex 3D contour-following system, UltraTrack Heads, AquaTec technology and pop-up trimmer, which ensures absolute comfort and convenience when shaving over acne.
This should be all the information you need to know when it comes to shaving with acne. If you follow the above guidelines, you should be able to achieve great shaves without grief.
All the best!